Friday, July 8, 2011

The First Raspberries: Updated

Is it really obvious that I'm not in school right now and super bored? :) I'm trying not to think to hard about the results of the blood test that I went in for yesterday. I'm also trying not to get my hopes up for good news since I know Aaron doesn't like seeing me crying (Although he is pretty good at comforting me).

I wanted to write about the raspberries that are in our garden. They are a sneak attack from my neighbor Lou's wife. Before she died, she was nice enough to plant raspberries right next to our fence so it didn't take very long for them to grow like crazy on our side and give up a snack every year that we've lived here.


I accidently made the bush healthier and more fruitful this year. I was trying to trim it back since it was all floppy and gangly last year. Oops...more berries for me. This is how full the bush is (with grape vines on top...I know, we suffer).

Yesterday was the first day with ripe berries...only about 3...but still. I ate them in one bite and it was amazing.

In a couple days, there will be loads more and I've very excited. They are one of my favorites. The one plant that I transplanted last fall hasn't started flowering yet but it is definitely alive and well. We might have some late berries to loo forward too.

Also, we have our cherry tomatoes cropping up. I'm hoping that they wait to be picked because we might be away for a bit.

I planted some other seeds rather late in the game but my sunflower seeds are coming up fast and strong. Not bad for only being in the ground for 4 days.

I will probably keep you overly informed on our garden this year. It is probably going to be way better than last year...or at least a little better.

Updated:
Aaron went berry picking today and yesterdays three ripe berries turned into an awesome bunch that is probably going to end up in a smoothie! Love it! Thank you Mother Nature and Lucille (Lou's wife)!!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I'm so jealous! My raspberry plant is barely surviving the heat down here lol. But I'm happy for you to have such good turn out with the garden! Make sure to eat some raspberry leaves or make a tea. They are THE woman's plant and help with all the women problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I didn't know that! Teach me your ways!!!! Also, I totally had to build a tent/sheet thing for my blueberry bushes....because last year they cooked and died in the heat so I totally feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete