Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Recipe: Fake Thai Chicken and Rice

As most of you know, I'm a genius in the kitchen.... :) Not really.

That is more because I don't like being in the kitchen and not really because I burn everything or make it taste like garbage. One thing that I've gotten good at, is combining things that I have extra of in the fridge and turning it into yummy. Like my "leftovers chili".

Well, after the Songkrong party in April, I had some left over ingredients and so I ended up inventing this recipe.

I call it "Fake Thai Chicken and Rice" because it taste like it is a Thai recipe...but it isn't...at all. I mean, it is a bunch of Thai things thrown together for my convenience. But if you make it and serve it to your friends...you can totally pretend like you know how to cook Thai food.

This is how I like recipes...not really measurements...just...ingredients and advice.

First thing you want is Yellow Curry sauce. You want to use about half of this bottle, which is a little more than half a cup.

The next thing you are going to need is coconut milk. You want this ratio to be about 1:1 with the yellow curry sauce. You don't want more coconut milk than yellow curry or it will make it super bland tasting...albeit a bit sweeter.
About 10 DROPS of fish sauce for a little extra Thai flavor. I cannot stress this enough to you...Go Easy On the Fish Sauce. It is the oil from fermented fish. I kid you not. Put a drop of it raw on your tongue...yeah...it isn't pleasant. It is great in small doses but if you do crazy, this stuff will leak out of your pours and you will smell like a rotting fish. So 10 DROPS.

The first time that I made this, that was it...and it was kind of bland...so this time I decided to throw in some sweet chili sauce. A couple good globs....you know, whatever tastes good to you.

I stirred it all up really good and poured in over already prepared rice with 3 raw chicken breasts on top. I cooked it at 350 degrees for 45 mins.

It came out smelling delicious and tasting amazing. I loved it. Aaron loved it. And I think that you should give it a try...because you will love it. Make it for your friends and pretend like you know how to make Thai food.

No comments:

Post a Comment