Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recipe: Paleo Diet Hot Chocolate

Aaron and I both have chronic diseases that we are kind of sick of. After having a crazy allergic reaction to some walnut cookies (I've never been allergic to walnuts before this), I decided that somethings needs to change. Mostly, what I'm putting in my body and that included medication...but I might talk about that some other time.

While my hands and feet were swollen, I called my mother to tell her that I've had enough and I want her crazy radical health advice. She sent me two books, The Paleo Diet and Fasting and Eating For Health.

Aaron and I started the Paleo Diet last night and since I've gone a whole day with the Paleo diet, I decided to reward myself with a treat. I couldn't find a recipe online for paleo hot chocolate so I made one up. Even though it is a paleo recipe, I want to be clear that this would be something that the author would stress was still to be drinking in moderation.

Paleo Hot Chocolate:
1 1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
7 oz. coconut milk (Regular dairy is NOT paleo...so this is what really makes the recipe paleo)
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon
honey

1) Boil the water
2) Throw the cocoa powder and coconut milk in there and whisk it around until you don't have any lumps.
3) Throw the vanilla and a dash of cinnamon
4) Pour into a mug and pour in some honey to taste and you are ready to go.

The coconut milk and honey are what make it...not the best for you even though it is better than the alternatives. But you know what, as a treat, it is very worth it. This stuff is good! Honey, cocoa, coconut, cinnamon, vanilla....yeah...this drink is pretty awesome.

Wish us luck as we try and eat healthier and live a little better!


4 comments:

  1. The Paleo Diet sounds super interesting. I need to take a gander at that book the next time I head up or you guys come down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to share the book with you! So far, I'm doing pretty good at it...and I lost 3 pounds which I didn't think was going to happen...so that was a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are awesome for taking control and congrats for surviving a day! Try to avoid what my husband and I often do where if one of us gives into temptation, then the other uses that as an excuse to give in too lol. Anyways, I tried the hot coco with almond milk (don't have any coconut milk atm, but I want to try it) and it hit the satisfying, cozy, comfy spot! Just what I need to endure the changes. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I thin mine down with the almond milk but I think that next time, I'm going to try it with just the almond milk. The coconut milk might be a little too rich for me.
    And Aaron isn't full on board with me so no real fear of him falling off the wagon...since he is already hanging off with one foot. :)

    ReplyDelete