Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cub Scouts: Engineer (Circuits & Bridges)

I wish that I brought my camera to scouts but I totally blanked.

We made circuits with the three boys that were there. Aaron is so good at talking nerdy to kids. He showed them a circuit set that he made at school that has two lights that take turns blinking back and forth. It is pretty cool. He then showed them how to make a simple circuit to turn on a light bulb. He promptly took it all apart and had them take turns putting it back together.

Meanwhile, I was teaching the boys about different kinds of bridges. They have to draw pictures of three different kinds of simple bridges so my job was to talk them through it.

When they were all done making the circuits and drawing bridges, the boys took turns making the different kinds of bridges that we drew. We made them out of books and index cards. I was pretty impressed with how much weight they were able to hold...but you will never know how cool it was because I didn't take pictures.

The one boy who was very interested in the catapults last week, had the same kind of enthusiasm for the circuits. The last 10 minutes while the other boys played basketball, Aaron and this boy sat and worked on making different circuits and talking more in depth about how this stuff works. I think Aaron had a ton of fun with it and the boys seemed to enjoy it too. We've been having some fun activities lately. The warmer it gets, the more fun we seem to have with the scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment