Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Garden: Third Week

Everything is growing!! And I mean, EVERYTHING. We always plant a few seeds just in case some don't make it...but they are all coming up.

Let me show you how everything is growing. After I get pictures of everything, the pruning will beginning.

Oregano:


Looking about the same progress wise but they are alive so...that is cool. I don't really care how slow they grow because they will always be an inside plant.

Zucchini:
Luckily we just planted two zucchini seeds because they always grow crazy fast.
This is the first one that popped up.
The second one is starting to catch up though!
I'm scared that they are going to be flowering before we even get them outside! But the sooner we get free food, the better!

Sunflowers:
We planted 4 seeds in only 2 planters. All four seeds have sprouted.

I don't want to prune any! Even though I need to...maybe I should just pull them out and try to replant them?

Pole Beans:
We put in 12 pole bean seeds and we got 10. Again, it is going to be really hard to prune these guys. They all deserve to live...maybe I am just greedy and I want to eat as many fresh vegetables as I can.
Some of these beans are getting so big that I'm scared we will have to put something for them to climb up before they can be planted outside.
True story: Legumes pull nitrogen into the soil and so you want to move where they are planted every year. This year we are going to plant them were the tomatoes have been for the last two years, it will help to rejuvenate that soil. I learned that in my botany class last semester.

Tomatoes:
Same problem. Too many of them up and not enough space. We don't need 4 of the same tomato plants....let alone 12. I'm not going to feel too bad pruning these guys done. We are planning on buying a cherry tomato plant later in the season so we will be good for tomatoes this year.
Remember the little tomato that we talked about in the mint pot? Here he is. He looks like a tomato plant and I know how it would have happened if it IS a tomato plant...but I think we will wait and see what happens with this one.

Onions:
These look about the same up top. They look like a balding chia pet from here but I'm sure under ground they are working hard. No real pruning required here. I still have yet to plant more of them in the egg carton like I said I would.
Parsley:
Remember how with the last post, the parsley hadn't come up yet? And I was a little worried? Well, the next day, they all just SHOT out of the ground. It was ridiculous. Now look at them!

They've only been above ground for 6 days and they are thriving!

Spinach:
I said that I was going to plant some. I have the seeds...and I haven't planted them yet. Lame. They are actually something that should be planted while it is still cool...so I better hop on that quickly.

Basil:
I planted some that I bought at the grocery store with the roots and dirt still present. It died in 4 days...from mold, I believe. I need to get some sandier soil, I've read because mold is a big issue. I tried to water it less than I normally do but alas, earwax.

On the plants outside...
Raspberries are starting to grow leafy and soon they will start to send out branches for wonderful delicious raspberries! The blueberry bushes are still alive...which is an improvement from this time last year. They made it through their first summer (which is a BIG milestone for blueberries) and they are starting to grow back after winter. I don't know whether we can expect many blueberries this year, but I'm very very hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment