Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Brilliant Children

I love hanging out with and talking to the children at the preschool. The best days are when I can sit down with the kids and interact. They are so smart and creative. It is incredible. We really under estimate abilities of children.

For example, Friday the 2nd, we woke up with a TON of snow on the ground. It had been snowing all week. While we were playing with Legos, I asked one boy what he was making and he showed me this.


He told me that it was a car and the front that comes off the top and travels all the way to the ground with a big flat piece laying flush with the ground, is for pushing snow off of the road. He rolled it around a little bit to show me how it would work and he pushed "snow" Legos out of that way.

Another day we are coloring with markers and another kid shows me this.


He just said, "Lion people!"

I'm constantly amazed by the things that these kids come up with and how they are piecing together their world.

Another girl wrote down "Old McDonald" to the best of her abilities. At first the paper looks like it is gibberish. I wish that I had taken a picture because it was BRILLIANT! I asked her what she was writing and she pointed at the letters, "OD MCDND D A FRM E I E I O ND N TAT FRM E D A DAG E I E I O" and sang, "Old McDonald had a farm E, I, E, I, O And on that farm he had a dog E, I, E, I, O".

So much emerging literacy! It is so exciting!

I love my job so much and I imagine that being a mother is just as exciting except that a mother will get to watch from birth and continue on through life and I just get these brief few years.

Yup...just thought that I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment