Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mexico Trip: Bus Ride

There is an area of Cancun called, "Zona Hotelera" or Hotel Zone. When you are here, you could be anywhere in the world that is by a beach and never know. I mean....Aaron could have tricked me into a trip to Southern California and just told me that we were in Mexico. All you see are resorts and tourists.

Don't get me wrong, I loved our resort. It was beautiful and a great place to come home to at night but it wasn't Mexico. It was a fake Mexico that was put together for tourists. I wanted to see some of real Mexico.

So on the 29th, Aaron and I hopped on a bus outside our hotel and rode it till the end of the line.

This is our bus....driving away. I think that I freaked Aaron out a little when I just started walking. There were buses that we could have hopped back on to immediately to take us back to the Zona Hotelera but I wanted to explore.

I found out that in general, developing countries look the same.

This could be a picture of any number of places that I've been in the world.

Walking around here made me feel closer to home. I know that sounds weird but I would go out of my neighborhood in Thailand to get a smoothie (Kiwi.....mmmmmm) and this was the town that I was walking around in. Like...this same town....but this one might be a little more colorful.

While we were walking, this concerned citizen stopped us and said, "Are you lost? You are a long way from the Hotel Zone?" It was weird to realize that I was back in a country where someone could look at me and KNOW that I wasn't from there. Small children on the bus staring at us. Adults staring at us. I hadn't felt that in awhile.
It was a really fun and relaxing way to spend the day. And you know what, we didn't get murdered by drug lords.

No comments:

Post a Comment