Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cub Scout Day Camp

When Aaron and I got into the car to drive home, Aaron turned to me and said, "I hope we are Webelos leaders next year so that we can come back and do this again." So, needless to say, we had an awesome time.

The trip up was pretty fun talking with three of the boys that we didn't know that well. See, we have had 2 boys that are always there and are almost done with being Webelos but last week....we magically got 3 more boys. Two of them recently had birthdays so they hadn't started coming to our scouts yet (and it didn't help that Aaron and I have been traveling off and on). One of them had been meeting with the other ward's Webelos but they didn't sign him up for Day Camp so he came with us. We are so lucky to have such a great group of boys.

The first thing we did that day was BB Guns! Which as you can imagine, is a great way to start off a day camp. The boys were pretty good at it and they seemed to really enjoy the chance to try and shoot something....even if the something was just cans.


Even Aaron got in on the action. (This is when I tell you how sexy I think he is...but you already know I feel this way.)

The next thing we worked on was the Outdoorsmen pin. This one boy from another troop made me really thankful for our boys. This boy Zach was rude and disrespectful. He treated the staff and other campers so rudely...and his dad was standing right there. It turns out that I don't mind yelling at other people's kids. I must have got that from my mother. :)

After the "boring" (thank you Zach) work on getting the Outdoorsmen, we went to the BMX bike course. The boys loved it. It looked pretty fun but they didn't have an bikes in my size.

The boys got to go around and around for 30 minutes and they loved it. It was one of their favorite parts of the day.
After this, we decided to head into the shade and work on archery! All of our boys who tried it were pretty good at it. We had one boy who fired one into the ground and after that he didn't want to try. One of our boys was VERY surprised when he shot off his first arrow and it went flying rather far. He didn't know he was so strong. Once he got his aiming down, he was pretty great.

This was his second shot and he got it right on the edge of the black. He got better and better the more he shot. I was pretty impressed.

After the archery the boys RACED over to do the zip lining. They were so excited for their ride on the zip line.

It was a pretty long fun ride for them. They asked me if I wanted to go but I decided not to since one of our boys decided not to do it and he was pretty shaken up about the thought of jumping off the bird's nest. Maybe if we get the chance to go next year, I will give it a try. I've done it before in my life so I'm not too sad.


After all of this crazy outdoor activity, we got another break when we got to do the Geologist pin. We had to draw either an earthquake, a volcano, or a geyser. We also got to look at some dead animals and talk about fossils. I mean...it wasn't BB Guns but it was still fun and interesting.


Even if the boys don't appreciate it, it was good break to have in the shade before we did rock climbing! All of the boys made it to the top so I was pretty impressed.


The boys wanted to see Aaron climb the wall too and so he popped on a harness and climbed right up there.


I was lame and decided not to do it. I mean....I had to take pictures, right? Oh...and I have zero arm strength so I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to get to the top.
Thank goodness after all of the above excitement and activities, it was FINALLY lunch time! I told some of the boys that if they wanted to eat in the shade, they could climb under the table since there was no where to eat in the shade. Some of the boys took me up on that offer.
After the lunch we only had to work on pins and not another crazy outside activity. It was the perfect schedule. We finished up the day doing the Naturalist and the Forester.

At the Naturalist station, they had a snake. I got to hold him since I am an adult. It is pretty awesome to be an adult. I walked the snake around and let all the boys touch it. Love it!
The boys got to go on a quick nature hike and learn about "nature's hairbrush" and many other plants. This is them holding the thistle that can be a great fire starter.
The Forester was pretty relaxed. We talked about different levels of the forest and about different regions of forests. They even got to count the rings of a tree.

The kids got to go to the Trading Post after this and get stuff to take home. We had closing flag ceremony and that was the end of the day.

And I agree with Aaron, I would love to go back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment