Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas in California

On Thursday, the 20th, Aaron and I got a ride to the airport from some good friends in Ogden.  It was really nice because we got to stop and have dinner with them at a restaurant before heading out and we LOVE their family.

The airport, of course, was awesome....yeah.  By awesome, I mean, totally uneventful.  The flight was an hour late leaving, but I brought the movie Brave with me and so I wasn't too phased by the whole thing.  We even got to take a northern route to land the plane which meant that we got to watch downtown Oakland go passed.  That was awesome since we got to see the Oakland temple all lite up from the sky.

We got picked up by Mike, my father-in-law, and Grandma Reinert in Oakland and headed to Fremont.  We mostly talked about the baby and names.

I wrote a good chunk on this post and it didn't save for some reason....so I'm going to do a really brief overview.

Friday, the 21st, we mostly hung out at home and did some Christmas shopping and some gift wrapping.  At night we headed to the temple.  It was all decked out for Christmas and looked amazing.  I would have taken some pictures but it was dark and raining.  I should have pulled out my waterproof camera.

Oakland Temple
(If you click the picture it will take you to the flickr account of whoever I stole this from!)
I was so happy that Aaron and I were able to go through the Oakland temple again.  We have been in this temple 3 times this year!  We got to go through for the first time in April and that was really exciting then we watched a sealing ceremony in September.  It's been a good year for us and this temple.

Saturday, the 22nd, Aaron and I did more Christmas shopping.  We hadn't done any shopping before Christmas so we were in a bit of a rush to get presents ready for everyone.

Then DEE!!!!  My sister-in-law, Dee, finally got there to hang out and party with us!  She is one of my faves!  We spent the night talking and trying to plan what we would do for the cake craft night that Barb had for us to do the next day.

Sunday!!  It was really awesome going to Aaron's parent's ward on Sunday.  They had a beautiful musical program prepared for Christmas.  It was simply delightful.  Their choir was HUGE and they also had the children sing a couple songs with them.  Plus it was really fun to see how many people I remembered from our wedding and other trips out to this area. 

After church was a glorious snuggly nap time with Aaron on the couch while he watched football...and also napped.  I love a good cuddle with Aaron...and it is getting harder the bigger I get, so it was a treat.

When we woke up from our naps, Barb had iced our cake and gotten it ready to decorate.  Dee and I had a lot of fun with it.

These are our trees on "snow capped mountains"...very Christmas-y.

Untitled

We were playing on Barb's Cake Cricut if you were wondering.  I had never used a Cricut before and thought that it was pretty cool that there was one for cake decorations.
Untitled

Who is this dark Christmas figure?
Untitled

The ghost of Christmas future!  Telling you to not be a Christmas grump or you will die alone with no one to think or care about you after you are gone.  You know...from the extremely cheery tale, "A Christmas Carol".  Thank you Charles Dickens.
Untitled

And on the top of the cake, a red sled.  ...Rose Bud?  Probably not.
Untitled

We got to craft with some Reinert family friends.  It was a Girl's Day and it was lots of fun to laugh and craft.

Afterwards, Dee and I worked on some cookies that were going to be delivered to people.

Untitled

Decorating sugar cookies makes me feel like a little kid...I love it.  We made a bunch of green frosting for all of our Christmas trees.  Which meant not any other color for our "gingerbread" men.
Untitled

So...they were aliens instead. 
Untitled

Christmas...


The next day was Christmas Eve!  Yeah!  I was having a particularly...stretched out...day.  My ab muscles were having a horrible time expanding and I wasn't feeling that great.  Unfortunately that was a good majority of the trip.  But my father-in-law suggested a walk to help the muscles out.

That sounded like some good advice since I was suppose to be getting some exercise anyway.  Aaron came with me and we walked around the neighborhood where he grew up.  It was fun to get to go on a walk with Aaron and it did help take my mind off the stretching.

While we were walking, we found these in a neighbor's yard as decorations.
Untitled

Which...believe it or not...reminds me of Christmas.  Warm Christmases like I used to know.  Where white sands glistened and I could listen to hear jet skis on the waves...I've been missing Thailand more and more.  Especially around Christmas time.  Christmas is so different in Asia.

Anyway, that night, we headed over to more Reinert family friends.  The Bosko's are awesome.  They are the ones who hosted our California reception 3 and a half years ago.  Christmas Eve dinner was amazing with them!  And for the first time in...ever...I couldn't stop eating.  It felt so good to just pack it all in.  I couldn't get enough of the salad that my mother-in-law made!  When I finally stopped eating that, I started snacking on fudge.

Please enjoy this super flattering photo of me.  I really enjoy the boob sagging over the belt...classic.
Untitled

I didn't want to have to keep getting up from the couch for fudge...so I put it on my lap.  Wow, writing that out really made me realize what a fattie I was that night.

Aside from the amazing food, there was also some pretty great company.  It was fun sitting around joking and laughing with friends and family.  We even got to watch this cute little kitty exploring the wonders of a Christmas tree.
Untitled

Quote of the evening from Katrina, "If you get electrocuted, you will be very sad."  I said that when the kitty was chewing on the wires to the lights.  I felt that it was a poor choice.
Untitled
The next day was Christmas!! YEAH!!! I didn't wake up till 10:00am when Daniel called FROM FRANCE! My brother Daniel is on an LDS mission to Paris, France and so it was amazing to get to hear from him...even though he has only been gone for 3 months.  He told us about some interesting food that he's eaten over there and what it has been like being out in the field.  I got to tell him that we are having a baby boy since he hadn't gotten the news (in the form of a letter and pictures) in the mail yet.  It was a great way to start off Christmas morning.

After the phone call, was breakfast!  Yummy french toast!

Then PRESENTS!  Aaron made his sister and I "stockings" which was really sweet of him.  On of Dee's stocking presents was some "piggies" with Angry Birds.

Untitled

I had a ton of fun making all the different piggie faces.
Untitled

And we had a little fun making a mess with them in the living room.  Hopefully Dee will have some fun with them with her friends in Provo.
Untitled

The rest of the vacation is kind of a blur.  The next day we went to lunch with a friend from Provo who also has family in the area.  We went to IKEA with her since Aaron and I needed to look for some stuff for our house.

And the 27th, we flew back home.  It was a whirlwind trip but it was good to get to see Aaron's family and California for a 3rd time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment