Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Garden: Half Way Into Summer

I've been avoiding writing about my garden...because it went so badly.   Every time we left the house for a longer than three days, we would lose something and we had a lot of death due to over feeding.

The green beans were doing wonderfully and I gave them something to climb on and they loved it.  And I over watered them and they all rooted and died.

But I replanted some and since it was so warm, they got to live outside.  But...it was a little too warm.

Yeah, we aren't going to get ANY beans this year.

*Take Home Lesson For Next Year:
Plant in late March and Don't Over Water!!  Provide them with something to climb on early on so that they will thrive!!

The only things that have survived from the original planting include:
The Zucchini:

The Parsley:

ONE Tomato:
Sad news....I took this picture the first day that I planted it in the ground about a week ago.  This plant is...like 3 and a half months old and is TINY!  And then....it DIED!  Yeah, dried up in the sun and died.

*Take Home Lesson For Next Year:
Buy a plant from the store and stick it in the ground as soon as possible.  It has NEVER been worth your time to plant tomatoes.  Get them at the store...I won't judge you....Katrina....

Other stuff going on...
The Basil that we bought is still alive!  YEAH!  I haven't killed this one!

The Tangerine plant that we got still has the fruit on it...and it is very slowly changing.

I have no idea what to expect from this tree....it is one giant free flying experiment.

Okay, we also planted more sunflower seeds, after they died when we went to California.  Well, I planted two seeds and got one.  Oh well.

*Take Home Lesson for Next Year:
Plant toward the end of March AND if you leave town...make sure to have someone water them.

Chives:  Totally awesome.  I've been eating these with my totally Paleo Egg Drop Soup.  So far, chives are one of my best investments.

Mint:
Still more or less alive.  It went under the raspberries because it needed some shade to protect it and keep it safe from the warm Utah sun.

 Oh...and my spearmint, I don't think that I ever showed it to you....but it was amazing and now it is dead.  Well...not dead but it needed some shade.  It fried while I was in Texas.  I put it under the raspberries to live as well.

See them hiding under my huge raspberry bush!

My favorite plants ever have got to be the Lucielle Raspberries (named because of the dear sweet woman who planted them).



I want it documented that I ate my first three raspberries today.  About 3 or 4 weeks ahead of last year!  It must be the warm weather!  I'm not going to complain.

Blueberry Bushes:
I've eaten NOTHING off of these ever.  And I've been working for berries for 2 years.  Last year we got them through the summer and I was hoping that this year they would be tougher.  Unfortunately the summer heat was tougher this year.

After two years, I know the signs of burning bushes.  Moses has got nothing on me!

Please ignore the crazy weeds.  I need to get our cub scouts back there to finish up the work for us.  But anyway, I put up a tent for the blueberry bushes so that they can have more sun protection.

A new addition....Garlic:
They started sprouting after I bought them so into the ground they went!  They are doing pretty good but I'm pretty bad with root vegetables.

And that is my garden.  Some good/some bad.  Some learning and some succeeding.  I will update you again at harvest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment