Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Garden: One Month, 10 Days

Sorry I didn't write to tell you guys what has been happening with our garden. I know that you are all on the edges of your seats wondering how they survived our tips and how they are progressing!

(It is topics like this that remind me...this is an online journal...and somethings might only be interesting to me for years to come. Hopefully this will help us improve next year too!)

I didn't even think to get someone to watch our plants for us. I mean...they are plants...they can go a few days with out being watered, right?

Well....wrong. They were all looking pretty parched when we got home from California on Monday. The sunflowers...I'm sorry to say, didn't make it. They all died. Every last one of them. They were totally shriveled up and I could see that even if we got water into them, they wouldn't be able to pump it through with all of that dead membrane.

Everything else though lived.

Zucchini: They are both doing well but our late bloomer is going CRAZY! Seriously, I don't know if it is going to wait another month to move outside.

Parsley:
I'm actually a little worried about one of these plants...it is getting white spots on it and I don't know why...over watering? I find that that is a problem of mine.
Tomatoes:
I was feeling pretty good about them till I saw Aaron's grandpa's this weekend. He keeps a heating pad under them in the mud room. 1) I wish that I had a mud room 2) I wish that I knew to stick a heating pad under them! But they are coming along so I should complain.
Onions:
I have no idea whether they are growing or not. I haven't had much luck with root vegetables in the past so I worry.
Pole Beans:
I finally had to do it. I had to build them something to climb.

I will have to take a better picture for you tomorrow because the taller ones have already wrapped themselves around the string. It is actually a little scary to think of how much they move and how aware they are. Plants are absolutely amazing.

It is going to be a long month though. Our table has gotten really crowded.
I've been on my Paleo diet for 13 days straight and so I'm getting excited for the possibility of my own food from the garden. It is only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment