Sunday, April 22, 2012

First Hike of 2012

Aaron's week off of work was coming to a close so he tried to make the most out of his Saturday.  He went golfing and when he got home, the first thing out of his mouth was, "Do you want to go on a hike?"

Ummm...yes I do!  It was a beautiful day and so far I had spent it inside working on a photo book and writing blog posts.  I would LOVE to go on a hike!

Aaron also asked the dogs...and they DEFINITELY wanted to go on a hike!  At one point, Aaron went out to the car and Pippen was sitting next to the door crying because he thought Aaron forgot him. 

But Aaron didn't forget us!  And we headed to the Indian trail.  This is us at the trail head.

We had hiked this way before but we always seem to see something new when we are hiking.  This time, I spotted a bird's nest in a tree along the path.  Can you spot it?

There were also tons of these cool flowers.  It made me wish that I had brought along my better camera.
Also, I just love the faces that Pippen and Bambi make when they get to go on a hike.  Aren't they the sweetest little animals?

 This was by the first bridge.  I don't know if you guys remember that along the Indian Trail, there are two bridges.  Near the first bridge is a camping area.  There were a couple families camping there...and this one lady was screaming at her kids so much that we could hear them, LITERALLY a quarter of a mile off.
 But we stopped because Pippen needed a drink.  He was peeing a lot the whole way and he got pretty thirsty.
 I stopped for a break here.  I smelled something weird and looked around and saw a plant that looked familiar.  I ripped it out and sniffed it and I was right.  It was wild garlic.  Anyway, the dogs were going crazy smelling it.  Aaron took a picture and...remember that family with the screaming lady?  Apparently the men took pity on the kids and took them on a hike to get out of her hair.  This guy, Randy, stopped while we were taking a picture and said, "Those are some nice looking dogs.  I want to take a picture too."  And he stopped and took a photo on his cell phone...weird.
 Anyway, the garlic spot was right next to the second bridge.  I thought that it was crazy that even with working all day Friday, we only needed two breaks to get to the second bridge a mile and a half in.

When we got close to the second bridge, we saw that there was a fork that we had never seen before...so of course, we went that way.  This is looking back on the bridge and the other trail below.

 This is a picture of Aaron's manly beard.  Look how scruffy he is!  He didn't shave all week...because he didn't have too.  What a deadbeat.

While hiking, we found an archway of branches and thought we would stop for pictures.

Pretty soon we came upon another fork in the trails.  One headed back in the direction of the trail we had gotten away from at the bridge so we went the other way.  

Choose the left, when a choice is placed before you!  

We walked for awhile and pretty soon, we discovered that by choosing the left, we ended up on the other side of a giant hunk of mountain between us and the trail we left.  Not bad...just...interesting.  Made me feel a little more "in the middle of no where" which I like.

This is part of the "hunk" separating the trails.  I love how...rocky...the Rocky Mountains are.

We walked for awhile, for who knows how far, enjoying the view and the exercise.  We would have loved to keep going but the sun was starting to go down and we were getting tired.  We will have to explore and camp out there later this summer.

We sat down to rest to decide which way to go.  Pippen wanted to keep going up.
 But Bambi was looking back down waiting to head back.

Poor Pippen got out voted. But that wasn't even the worst thing that happened to him.

While we were headed back, we found a pheasant walking around on the side of the trail.  It was too fast for me to get a picture.  I've never seen a pheasant before.  At first I was weirded out because I had a flash back to Hawaii where there are wild chickens all over the place.  Aaron had to tell me that it was pheasant and then explain why it was a pheasant.

Anyway, Pippen...wanted it so bad.  He was pulling and pulling.  And then he started making the weirdest noise.  It was like a cross between his hick-ups and whines.  It actually sounded like the noise he makes when he is having a really good dream.  Now I know what he is dreaming about.

It was awesome to get back out there!  I'm so excited for summer to get here!  Aaron and I are going to have so much fun!  We usually have ridiculously awesome summers.

Oh...and then Aaron and I went out to Eden for dinner...Carlos and Harley's.  If you are ever up here, ask us to take you.  Eating there is really special because it is so out of the way.  Also, if you go, get the Churro Split.

That's right...I took a picture of the food.  You can judge me...but you would have too if it happened to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment