Tuesday, October 7, 2014

General Conference October 2014

When I was growing up, I would hear people say all the time, "I can't wait for General Conference!  I'm so excited."  And I would think, "LIAR!!"

Twice a year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, cancel their 3 hour block of meetings and devote a weekend to TEN HOURS OF MEETINGS (11 and a half if you watch the Women's Conference meeting the weekend before).  

Yup, instead of going to church for 3 hours on Sunday and being done with it, we spread out 10 hours of meetings in 2 hour increments throughout the weekend.  And here is the weird thing, 

WE LIKE IT.  WE LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

As I've gotten older and I've grown closer to the Lord (because that's the real thing.  It doesn't matter how old you are, it matters how much you like feeling the Spirit close to you.), I've started to be the person who says, "I can't wait for General Conference!  I'm so excited." 

We get to hear our Prophet speak.  We get to hear inspired messages from so many different leaders of different parts of our Church.  It's exciting and as you listen, you can feel the Spirit whisper to you things that you need to know.  You get to hear your own personal prayers answered.

I was super excited for this Conference.  But....I was extremely sick with pregnancy all weekend.  Also, our apartment is still a total disaster because we are still only halfway moved in.  We had just gotten internet but no wifi....so our laptop had to be far enough away from a certain somebody (who shall remain nameless) who enjoys pressing the power button on the laptop.


As I laid on my bed with a huge headache and fighting back vomit, I kept thinking of how lucky I am.  This was the weekend two years ago, that I found out that I was pregnant with Zach.  

Now I'm laying in bed with a little ball of energy who just wants to snuggle me and convince me to get up and play.  AND to top it all off, I get to have another baby.  I get to feel my tiny little daughter kick around inside of me.  This weekend, I don't need to be reminded that I'm a child of a Heavenly Father who loves me personally.  I KNOW.  I know through every trial and difficult time that I'm special to Him who created me.  I know through all the tiny blessings that I get every day that I'm cherished.  And I know through the obvious miracle that are my children, that Heavenly Father wants all good things for me.

Even when those miracles straight up steal my CapriSun.


I have CapriSun by my bed for barfing purposes.  I drink them to settle my stomach or give me something to barf in the morning so I don't dry heave for forever.  Well, Zach has been a straw thief  for awhile.  He will pull them out of the box, take the straws and put the drink back into the box and horde the straws.

Well, I hear him moving around on the side of the bed during the middle of conference and I look over.  He is sticking the straw into the CapriSun and then starts drinking.  WHAT?!?!?!  Who taught a 16 month old to do that?  Apparently he is watching me closer than I thought.  I let him finish it.  I felt like he earned it.

And in other news, no one is worried about his fine motor skills.

The weekend was spent in bed, listening to a prophet's voice and snuggling my boys.  Yeah...there was barf....so much barf because I'm making another human person. Yeah, I had a massive migraine that made it hard to open my eyes.  Yeah, I spent a good amount of the time, keeping a small bear entertained looking at pictures from our photo album.  But I really couldn't think of a better way to spend my time.
Could you?


No comments:

Post a Comment