Saturday, September 20, 2014

First People to Know I was Pregnant

It was a really crazy summer for us.  As you all know by now, we moved to Las Vegas.  It took us nearly 5 months to sell our house (we started trying to sell it in April).  Luckily, we had a furnished apartment that we could move into rent free for the summer so that we didn't have to worry about paying rent AND mortgage.

Most people don't stay in the furnished apartments for any REAL length of time.  They are a nice place for families to vacation in Las Vegas because you are further from The Stripe and you can legitimately live out of them.  But people....vacation...in them.  Not live in the them.

We got to the know the staff REALLY WELL.  They knew our situation at check-in, since they were like, "Wait...you are staying HOW LONG?"  The front office had their own movie rentals and snacks.  They had the internet (we could have gotten wi-fi but we were too cheap) and pool towels.  They saw Aaron and I on a nearly daily basis.

Until around June 16th.  We have been there over at month at that point and they gradually stopped seeing Zach and I at the pool during the day.  I didn't come to rent a nightly movie.  I wasn't coming to get internet.  I used to walk Zach around the complex in the stroller and let him play in the rock gardens.  They just stopped seeing me.

In the middle of July, Aaron went into the office to talk to them about getting clean sheets (every other week we got full maid service so the apartment would go back to "factory settings").  They asked, "Hey.....we haven't seen your wife in awhile.  Is everything okay?  Did she and Zach go back to Utah?"

He paused.  We had only told our parents that I was pregnant.  Our siblings didn't even know that I was pregnant.

He said, "Yeah....she's fine.  Well, not fine.  She hasn't been feeling well."

"Does she need a doctor?  We can help you find a good doctor."

"It isn't that....she's........she's pregnant."

"WHAT?!?!  That's awesome!  Congratulations!  Oh....does she have morning sickness?  That sucks."

Every time after that, that ANY of the staff saw me, all they could do was congratulate me and ask how I was doing and how far along I was and if they could do anything for me. It was the sweetest thing.  One time I went to the office at 10pm (to get peanut M&Ms...because I NEEDED them) and met a security guard that I had NEVER seen.  Yeah....he congratulated me.

No comments:

Post a Comment