Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas in Katy, Texas

Aaron and I went to Katy, Texas to visit my family for Christmas. It was an odd kind of trip.

On Tuesday the 20th, I was suppose to be going around to my neighbors dropping off cookie plates and being merry and bright. Instead, I spent the day on the toilet and feeling super crummy.

So on Wednesday when we were getting ready to leave for Texas, I was dragging and feeling like death. As you can imagine, I wasn't in high spirits. All I wanted was to get to Texas and go to sleep. We made it to the airport and didn't have any problem getting to Texas. My dad was there to pick us up. The rest of the family was getting ready for a candle light vigil because one of my brothers Varsity basketball teammates had died the night before. Between me feeling so bad and my brother going to team meetings to talk about upcoming games that were being cancelled and the impending funeral, we were a very somber crowd. Aaron and I spent the evening at my parents house alone.

Thursday was spent getting ready for a Christmas. We cleaned the house and got rooms ready for other family that were headed over. Aaron and I shopped for a dress that I could wear to Clarise's wedding that was going to be in less than a week. Do you know where all the birds go in the winter?


Man it was freaky. It sounded like we were in The Birds.
Also, Wal-mart is freakishly crowded the days leading up to Christmas.

Friday, my family headed to a memorial service for the boy who died. Aaron and I stayed at the house since we don't know this boy and didn't feel like being looky-lous. While my parents were out, my aunt and uncle showed up with their wonderful daughter and two adorable Corgis. Aaron and I tried to help them settle in and we visited. I'm a huge dog person so my cousin Heather and I got to spend some time talking and playing with dogs.

The rest of the day was spent sitting around and talking. It was nice to sit and visit. We did a fair amount of cooking and crafting but mostly just general catching up. Aaron went out for hours with my brothers "shopping". They were gone most of the day. Aaron is really happy that he has brothers to play with.

Christmas Eve was awesome like it usually is. We spent the whole day wrapping presents and talking. Again, Aaron ran off with my brothers. My aunt learned how to make peanut brittle and I learned how to make a yummy cheese ball. It was a good day for food. I only got one picture that night and it is very fitting that it is of my uncle Joe.


Does he look like anyone you know? Maybe if he were wearing red? It is a tough season for my uncle Joe. Kids run up to him and start telling him what they want for Christmas and asking why he isn't at the North Pole.

One of our family traditions is opening a Christmas present that is always pajamas! We run upstairs and put them on.

You can barely tell that there is a tree behind us!

I didn't get any pictures of Christmas morning...sorry. We were all slow getting up. By 11 o'clock, we were all ready to sit down and open presents. Aaron and I got a couple of amusing gifts. My brothers gave Aaron Twinkies and Kool-Aid since they know that I don't let him have them as much as when he was a bachelor. Aaron, Daniel, and Markus bought each other little Nerf guns. That was adorable. Seriously, Aaron is making up lost time. Santa got Aaron and I a Kindle Fire this year! Yeah for Santa!! He got it for us a month ago but he reimbursed us on Christmas.

Aaron and I made each other our presents this year. I made Aaron a organizer filled with dates for the next year. Aaron won't have to plan a single date and we will have a great year of dating.
I will have to show you pictures. Aaron is really excited for it. I got cookie cutter ornaments! Aaron took some cookie cutters and put pictures of our last two Christmases together inside with string to hang them on the tree. It was so sweet.

We went to church that day and enjoyed a choir program and talking about/remembering/focusing on the real reason for the season. Jesus Christ. It was nice having church on Christmas day so that we could focus our attention on the spiritual part of Christmas.

When we got home, it was back to cooking to make sure that Christmas dinner was ready. It was an amazing dinner. I love holidays that come with yummy food. Perfect end to the day. Eating and talking with the family that I love. And that was Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment