Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Day

For Thanksgiving this year, Aaron and I were able to have his parents come and spend a week with us. It really made the holiday more special and...let's face it, less stressful when it came to getting everything done in the kitchen.

First though, I'll show you the decorations! I got to use this bunting for a second time!
While I was making it last year, I kept telling myself that it was worth the time because I would use it again the next year so I'm really glad that I was correct and that it was really worth my time.

I made the "Give Thanks" Jar last year but we didn't end up using it in time for Thanksgiving so it has been sitting in the closet all year waiting to see if we used it.
Aaron and I wrote on paper leaves every day for a month with things that we are grateful for, like good neighbors and our jobs.

Onto the food! I got a cheeseball out and I'm SUPER proud of how well the display looks.
Turkey!! Aaron carved it up with his "man of the house" self. The ladies, of course, cooked the turkey and stuffing and made it awesome.
(Side Story: Aaron didn't drop the rack down in the oven before putting the turkey in and totally caught the bag covering the turkey on fire....awesome start to the day.)

Beside that, Aaron did a great job with the turkey and helping out. He is pretty much the best.
Crystal bought two wonderful pies and they were great (Even Bambi got some of the pumpkin pie...behind my back...)! She also brought dinner rolls and homemade cranberry sauce. Aaron and his family were big fans of the cranberry sauce. I'm not a fan but I'm glad she was able to make so many people happy.
I made a cherry pie. I haven't had any of it but I hear that it was pretty yummy. I'm glad that it turned out so well.
Aaron's dad, Mike, was in charge of the mash potatoes. At the beginning of the week, I asked if we wanted real mash potatoes or just add water potatoes and he said, "We don't have to have real potatoes. Well.....I want real potatoes so real potatoes. But who will mash them? Oh....I could mash them. I'll mash the potatoes if we have real potatoes. But someone else will have to peel them. I don't like peeling them. I can peel the potatoes."

And I said, "You really want to be a good house guest, don't you?"

That is how Aaron's dad became in charge of the potatoes. And they tasted awesome. I made him gravy from the turkey drippings so I think that he was pretty happy with how it all worked out.

Aaron's mom, Barbara, made the stuffing and jello. Mike didn't want fruit in the jello and since he was so great about the potatoes, we made the jello without fruit.

Doesn't Barb have the best vest ever? It is perfect for the season!!!


Once we started eating, I started eating and talking and NOT taking pictures. You will just have to imagine people sitting around eating, sleeping, talking and general merriment.

And that was our day. I should probably end this post by saying that I'm very thankful for the wonderful year we have had. We got to travel and see both of our families. Aaron got to meet some of my family that he has never seen. We both have jobs and I'm doing well in school. We got our roof safely up. We've had a bunch of really fun parties at our house and enjoyed the company of great friends and even some of our family members out here. I'm excited to see what I will have to be thankful for next year when it comes around.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I like that I was totally an invisibly guest this year. I mean I know I really didnt do much.

    ReplyDelete