Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Almost Eggnog Disaster

You have to make Eggnog the day before you want to drink it. For some reason, it has to ripen over night to reach its full deliciousness.

So last night I started making it. When I had looked at the list of ingredients a couple days before I thought, "Awesome! I already have most of this stuff sitting in the pantry!" I opened up the can of sweetened condensed milk and got out the whipping cream. I poured in the sugar and then I got the can of evaporated milk out of the back of the pantry. I opened it up and saw this:


That didn't seem right to me. I mean...the top was all crusty and the yellow color didn't seem right. I stared at it for a couple minutes trying to decide if I would be able to still use it. I mean...maybe if I stirred it?

Finally I looked at the bottom of the can to see when it was good until.

October 2008

Before I was married. 3 years ago. It went bad 3 years ago.

Gross.

My father-in-law took me to the store to get some more. Have you ever gone to the store the day before Thanksgiving? The night before Thanksgiving? It was crazy. I lost Mike for half an hour. But we finally got out.

When I opened up the new evaporated milk I was shocked by the difference.


I'm so glad that I didn't throw that old milk into my Eggnog. That would have killed everyone!
But I got to pass on the Eggnog family tradition. I even put it in the same container that my mother would use.
Classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment