Monday, August 5, 2013

Antelope Island

My in-laws came into town for the baby blessing of Zach and they are making a vacation out of it.  The rest of this week they are headed to Southern Utah but for right now, they are up by us.

When they told me that they were going to Antelope Island today and that we were invited to come, I was pretty excited because I have never been.  In fact, truth time...I've never been to the Great Salt Lake.  I've seen it...but from a plane or if a highway got close to an edge of it.

We loaded up my baby bundle and headed off.  I was pretty shocked to find out that it is only about 40 minutes from my house.

Before I get to far into this, I just want to say that I'm BUMMED that I didn't bring my good camera...oh...and my point and shoot ran out of batteries about half way through the trip...after I took ONE picture of a bison.

First, we stopped at the "beach".  None of us were that thrilled at the idea of walking down to the water front.  Least of all, me, because I had a little baby who, after his full day of relatives yesterday, wasn't thrilled at the idea of being held by anyone but me for too long.

As you can see, it was a pretty long way to the water.

August52013 010

We had a little picnic there though and enjoyed the view and the breeze.

August52013 014
Enjoying the view...of his feet.
Untitled
Enjoying the wind.
Untitled
Enjoying each other.
Untitled
I even caught little man smiling about it.
August52013 024
Zach finally let grandpa hold him for a little bit.
August52013 019
Then grandma.
Then we drove to a scenic overlook.  It was about this time that little man fell asleep and missed all the animals.
August52013 026

August52013 030

This is the last picture with my point and shoot...and it is the back of a bison.  BUT if you look close, you can see antelope in the background!
August52013 031
The majestic back of a bison!
These are the camera phone pictures of the other bison that we got to see.  I'm going to have to go back at sometime with my dSLR to get some great photos.  This place was awesome.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The trip was pretty great.  Really fast but good.  The story of the day wouldn't be complete without letting you know that Zach woke up after we looked at all the animals and had an INSANE blow out diaper in his carseat.  POOP EVERYWHERE.  What was hilarious was the while I'm trying to clean the poop off my pants, Zach's whole body, and the car seat, Aaron's grandma said, "So...what are you guys going to remember most about this trip?"  Hahahaha...I'm going to go with...THE CRAZY POOP!  But at least there aren't any pictures of that.

1 comment: