Saturday, March 23, 2013

Driver's License and the Liberation of Women...errmmm...Woman

February 18th Aaron and I got invited over to some friends' house for dinner.  We love going over to their house for dinner.

At some point we started talking about a trip these friends were taking in May and how they would need someone to take their dog out to go to the bathroom.  I said that I could do it.  Aaron said, "Oh really?  You are going to waddle over here twice a day to let their dog out?"

To which I replied, "No, I will drive."

This surprised both Aaron and my friends since for the past nearly 4 years I've been terrified (and rather defensive about the topic) of driving.

Our friend said, "Have you been working on your driver's license then?"

"....No...."

"What do you need to do first to get your driver's license?"

"Well, I can't start practicing till I get a learner's permit."

"What time does the DMV open tomorrow?"

Aaron informed us that most government buildings open at 8am.

"I have the day off work tomorrow so I'll drive you to the DMV to take the test.  I'll pick you up at 8."

And the next day, we went. 

I took the test and got my learner's permit.  When my friends came to pick me up...and made me drive myself to work.  It was the first time that I'd been on the road in nearly 4 years.  I felt so proud of myself and so grateful for friends who were willing to push me into not being ridiculous.

This Wednesday, I took my road test and passed with flying colors....even in the rain...with children running in the streets.  I even parallel parked like a boss.

Thursday morning, Aaron added me to the insurance and I drove myself to work.  I felt so liberated and free.  I didn't know what I had been missing for years because I was too scared to get out and face my fears.

I felt so good that I drove myself to the mall to get my eyebrows waxed.  (Something I never do because I know that Aaron doesn't like going and waiting for me).  I got to take my time shopping for maternity pants and listen to the radio station that I wanted.

I can't wait for this next week when I get to run errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment