Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sharing Time: Jesus Christ is the Light and Life of the World

Unfortunately a flu seems to be moving around the Primary Presidency...and I have no problem with those that are infected staying AWAY from me.

But that meant that I got to surprise teach Sharing Time again only two weeks after the last time.  No big deal, I like teaching.

The important doctrine that was outlined was that "Jesus Christ is the Light and Life of the World."  I had the Senior Primary read some scriptures for us from the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ that different prophets wrote prophesying the coming of Christ.
For those of you who might not know, the Book of Mormon takes place in the America's starting about 600 years before Christ's birth and goes until about 420 years after his birth. Since they weren't anywhere near Bethlehem it was important to them that they knew when Christ was born.  Signs were given so that there would be no mistaking it.

The signs of his birth would be a day and a night and a day where the light in the sky stayed as bright as the noon day sun.

The signs for his death would be darkness that lasted for 3 days.

When Jesus came into the world, light was the sign and when he died, darkness was the sign.

In John 8:12 it reads, "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Jesus brought light to the world in the form of knowledge and truth.  If we follow his example, we will never walk in darkness.  We won't wonder around in life looking for direction.  If we do get lost, we can stop and ask our Heavenly Father for direction.
I asked the children what were some things that Jesus has given us that brings light and truth into our lives.  Some answers that I got:
*Scriptures
*Family
*Church
*The Holy Ghost
and my personal favorite....

Hope.

I asked the girl what Jesus gave her hope for and she said, "He gives me hope that I can live with my family forever in Heaven."

Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  9 years old and she is already hoping to be able to spend forever with her family.  I gave her a hug because that filled me with hope.  Hope that these kids are gaining testimonies of their own and they are understanding the important and wonderful message of the Gospel.

Then I gave them an assignment.  I asked them to color a picture or write on this picture what THEY could do to bring light into this world.


December-sunA
The world can be a very dark place.  Last Friday was a reminder of that fact.  Horrible things are happening all around us in the world and we need to bring light into the world.  I testify that all of us are born with the light of Christ in us.  We are born into light.  We can cultivate that light and we can fill the world with it.  We can also extinguish it.  We can extinguish it in ourselves and we can try and extinguish it is others.

We need to be a force for good.  I would encourage all of us to think about what we can do to bring light into our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment