Saturday, December 1, 2012

Buying Things For Baby

After losing two pregnancies and a failed adoption....I've been super scared to start buying things.

When we were planning on adopting this little girl, I bought a bunch of little baby girl clothes.  After about a year of holding onto them like a sad magpie, I sent them to a friend of mine who was having a baby girl.

This has happened a couple times with baby clothes.  I find something cute and think, "I will need this someday".  Then someone gets pregnant and I inevitably give the clothes to them.

Once we got to 12 weeks and we saw that the baby was growing into a person and one who was sticking around...I started to get braver.  This might actually happen!?  I might actually have a baby in the house in 6 months.

While we were going some grocery shopping, I found a stacking toy for 6+ month olds and I bought it.  I couldn't help myself.  I wanted to fill my house with baby toys (even though countless numbers of unromantic people want me to start buying diapers...I'll get to it when I get to it)!

December72012 036

I wanted all the baby things!!  But I stopped myself at one stacking toy.  I mean, I realized after doing the math, that this toy would be perfect for when we have a 6 month old NEXT Christmas.  That's right, I'm already Christmas shopping for next year.

December72012 037

When I hit 14 weeks....I got really excited.  Dang...this baby is really stuck in there.

While we were at the DI, on Thursday, looking for some other cheap finds, I couldn't help myself.  I started looking at the baby clothes.  Aaron said that we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl yet so we should wait.

I explained to him the concept of "gender neutral" clothing and continues pawing through the racks.  Plus, my theme for my baby is Winnie the Pooh so I couldn't just pass this up.  Because Winnie the Pooh stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!

Untitled

Untitled

Then I found this precious little newborn top.  I call Aaron my "teddy bear" and so I can just imagine that this new little cub will love his/her big teddy bear daddy.

Untitled

Besides ultrasounds, nothing makes this pregnancy more real to me than buying things for our baby.  I'm completely in love with this little one and it makes me so excited to actively get stuff ready to welcome this new person into our lives.

When I'm a little braver....I might start making a registry.  But not yet...I'm not ready.

4 comments:

  1. Go easy on the clothes, lady. That's what people love to buy FOR you. ;)

    But, as for clothes, I recommend gowns (they usually have pull over sleeves to cover up sharp nails as well as a scrunch bottom that you can pull up for diaper changes) and kimono style onesies/sleeper outfits.

    I hate pulling things over my kids head more than absolutely necessary. I saw dozens of these at Savers a month ago and was just shocked.

    That's my random ten cents. Congratulations on the feeling of permanence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people will chose to buy clothes for us or even give us old hand-me-downs, but I still think that it will be fun to pick out some stuff on our own...you know, for the sentiment. And I won't be putting any clothes on the registry since I would prefer people buy us diapers or other essentials.

      And I've already got gowns from family members who've been hoping and praying for a baby.

      As for the kimono's, I've read all about those and how they are great to have when the baby is still waiting to lose the umbilical stump (less irritation and contact) so I've been on the look out at the DI.

      I personally don't mind pulling things over baby heads. I know some moms are nervous about it because the baby seems so small and fragile...but lets face it. It went through my VAGINA...I'm probably not going to do much damage putting a shirt on it. But I know some babies that just HATE being dressed no matter what.

      Delete
    2. You're right about the sentimentality--I have a few pieces I picked up while my grandma was still alive when I was pregnant for Rylan and I just won't ever let them go, even though, they're just thrift store grabs.

      Are you going to have a baby shower down here or are you going to do it all up in Ogden?

      Delete
    3. I'm going to have one down in Provo area sometime in the early spring. It's easier for a lot of my friends since I moved away from most of them when I went to Ogden. Hahahaha!

      Delete