Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Beginning of August

It seriously has been one thing after another with me this semester.  I can't seem to catch a break and just feel good long enough to get anything done.  But I'm going to try and catch up on my blog since I'm feeling so crappy today that I'm home from work.  YEAH FOR LESS MONEY! ...NOT!

Here we go!

On the first of August, I decided that it was finally time to start painting our basement the way that I wanted it.  Well...not exactly the way that we want it.  We want to actually sheet rock the basement but I don't know if that is ever going to happen.  So just painting for now.
Untitled

This is the gorgeous color that we have been living with for 3 years.

August42012 001

As much as I LOVE orange wood color on my walls....I thought that a nice soothing finished looking grey would look better.

This is after about a day of work.  Because of the crappiness of the type of wood and the way that everything is held together, it is VERY SLOW GOINGS.  That's why I planned to give myself almost a month to get it done before I was back working at the preschool.
August42012 004

Because I had a lot of space to cover before the basement would be finished.  This is a picture of half of our basement.  Can you spot Pippen?

August42012 008

Aaron and I finally decided to get our own fire pit back in July and so on the 2nd of August, we decided to have a little date night in our backyard roasting marshmallows.

Untitled

I know that I'm really lucky to have such a great guy to sit and look at stars with while munching on s'mores.

Untitled
Untitled

I'm pretty fun to hang out with by a fire too.  And look at the delicious perfection!!  Talking about the S'more...even though Aaron's leg is pretty yummy too.

Untitled

August 4th, we decided to finish up some work in our flower beds. We still needed to add some mulch.
August42012 018

See that shrub in the corner?  Yeah...it is already dead.  We had to rip it up and take it back to Lowe's...but not on the 4th.

While I worked on spreading the mulch around the flower beds, Aaron was cementing the top row of stones down onto the second. We were a bit afraid that with the higher flower bed, the weight would one day knock the stones out. So cemented they must be.
August42012 020

I'm so glad that I'm married to Aaron because he always thinks of stuff that would have totally escaped my mind.
August42012 023

This is my contribution! Look how wonderfully spread out that mulch is! Gorgeous!
August42012 024

Look at this classy nonsense! We didn't end up finishing the flower bed when we started because of some pipes. We would have had to turn off the water to three houses in our neighborhood so we decided to wait till fall when it would be turned off anyway. (Spoiler alert: Aaron actually finished it up last weekend.)
August42012 031

But on August 4th, I could only finish mulching part of this side of the flower bed.
August42012 032

Aaron admiring his work, while the dogs cool off in the grass.
August42012 033

On August 6th, I finished this one wall in the basement! Except for the trim work, it was completely done (Until we got wood filler to fill in the spots that were bugging Aaron...then I had to go back and spot paint)!
Untitled

After I took this picture, I got the phone call from my boss at work saying that one of the other teachers had been hit by a car and they needed me to come in to work for the last two weeks. And that is when nonsense really started going down...and from then on, I have gotten nearly nothing done.

The first day back at work, a boy peed on me in anger...which is a weird reason to wet your pants but I guess when you are four you don't have all the skills to talk about your feelings.

The second day, I told myself that it would be a good day if I didn't get peed on.

And for my optimism, I got rewarded with a bird pooping on me while I walked home.  Don't worry...most of it ended up in my hair...so my clothes were spared....mostly.
Untitled

Also, on the 7th (first day back at school) I stopped by the hospital on my way home to visit my co-worker in the hospital. She was pretty beat up and needed some smiles. So on the 9th, I made sure to bring her some cheer from the kids at school.
Untitled

Such great art work!

I want you to appreciate how hard it actually is for a 4-5 year old to draw and heart. This is some good stuff.
Untitled

That was the first 10 days of August. Home improvements, little dates, and BACK TO WORK! It wasn't how I thought my August would be, but...you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

2 comments:

  1. I'll leave you a longer comment later, but I'll say this now: the basement is looking way better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When we first started Aaron was saying, "This is not looking good. I don't like this. The wood texture looks horrible painted." But there was no turning back and once I finished an entire wall, he started to change his tune. The basement is starting to look so much more open and finished.

      Delete